The Creative Mind

No matter how successful you may be or think you may be, does not mean that you will be happy. You can create the most beautiful clothes (Alexander McQueen), create the most innovative beats (J Dilla), or create the most timeless characters (Zora Neale Hurston), but you cannot create happiness for yourself.

It is one of the worst feelings in the world to know that your art makes other people happy, but it (as it relates to us, the artist) means little when discovering your own happiness.  I believe that it comes from the need to create and wanting others to accept you and your creation.  Understand you and your creation.  But maybe we as artists need to take the time to understand ourselves.  What is it in us that causes us to feel so deeply?  Why is it that we can't find peace in the art that we create? 

When someone creates they are bringing something into existence.  It is as close as we will get to being a creator like God.  Why isn't that enough?  The God in you should be loved fiercely; the creations (that are of God) should be loved fiercely.  But it is something deeper, something innate, something esoteric...  Something I cannot pin point.  Something I cannot define.  Something that I wil continue to search for...

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "The Creative Mind"

  1. AssertiveWit says:
    February 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM

    when I was younger, I felt those closest to me should WANT to read EVERYTHING I wrote and because they didn't and/or didn't even show the slightest bit of interest in what I was doing, I never felt I was THAT good...it wasn't until I started writing for ME that it didn't bother me fully, when I'd see those closest to me could care less what I was doing.

    for me, I think it was just my narcissistic side (that MANY artists have) trying to take over; I lock that side up so I can write without feeling some kind of way about what isn't being seen. one day, my work will be seen by more people than I realize are even paying attention to me and knowing that is enough for me to not care now :)

Post a Comment